I am terrified to see a lot of people always frequenting the Eucharist at Mass when they do not frequent the Sacrament of Penance. I believe the Eucharist is the shortest way to Heaven and also the shortest way to Hell.
Here is a brilliant post by Fr. John Hollowell worth reflecting on before going for the Eucharist at Mass.
You can’t receive the Eucharist if you’ve:
- Missed a weekend or Holy Day Mass
- Having sex outside of marriage with yourself (masturbation) or someone else
- desecrated the Eucharist
- haven’t been to confession in a year
- Use artificial birth control – condoms, pills, patches, IUD’s, etc
- sponsor or help in any way with an abortion or any destruction of an embryo
- Lust after someone
- Pride, Greed, Sloth, Envy
etc. etc. The list is not exhaustive, and any sin that we have meditated on before hand, understood its gravity, and still chosen to do it can be a deadly sin.
Don’t step out of bounds…and by all means…if you do…get back in bounds through confession! Don’t desecrate the Eucharist and receive it as some sort of prize you’ve earned simply by showing up for Mass!