It’s something everybody’s done at least once – as long as you don’t drop your phone in the water while you’re bathing, what could happen?
— Hartford News (@Hartford_NC) July 11, 2017
But for 14-year-old Madison Coe, the seemingly innocent activity cost her her life.
The teen from Lovington, New Mexico was allegedly using her smartphone while taking a bath when she was shocked to death.
She had recently passed grade 8 and was supposed to go to a high school in Houston, Texas.
Madison was allegedly using her smartphone while it was plugged into a power point in the bathroom.
However, it is uncertain whether she was shocked to death when she touched the phone with a wet hand or whether the tragedy might have occurred when the phone fell into the water.
“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” Madison’s grandmother Donna O’Guinn told KCBD local news service.
“She was very smart, a very good student in school. She just loved life, ” Donna said. “I called her my shining star.”
Loved ones also described her as smart and wise beyond her years.
Her family believes that this tragedy can happen to anyone and now their mission is to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging,” Donna said.
ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND WATER
As soon as you get in contact with water, or in Madison’s case sit in water, electricity will flow through you.
- Power plugs in the bathroom must at least be 3 m from the bath / shower / sink.
- Electrical equipment must be placed in a place where there is no risk of water splashing on it.
- Make sure you never use any electrical appliance if your hands and feet are wet, or if you are on a wet surface.
- Portable electrical appliances such as hair dryers, heaters, radios and mobile phone chargers should not be used in the bathroom.
- The kitchen also offers many challenges regarding basic safety, especially because so many different electrical appliances are in use.
- Do not turn electrical cords around equipment while the device (eg, boiler, grid) is still hot.
- Make sure the electrical equipment is unplugged if you should repair it.